Friday, May 11, 2012

Sympathizing with a Cow


I began exclusively pumping for my now nearly 8 month old twins when they were just 1 week old for a myriad of reasons. (I'm sure the title of this post makes a lot more sense now.) I was told I wouldn't be able to maintain a supply, and that it was extremely hard. Now, that second part is very true. But that first reason, at least in my case was far from the truth. In fact, one day I pumped a total of 102 ounces! You can probably imagine that building my supply became somewhat addictive, but I'm over it now and it won't go away! 

I was also told it wasn't worth my time. I heard this recently: "Oh that's a shame! They're not getting the good stuff." Seriously?! It's not like pumping was my plan all along, and if it wasn't the good stuff mothers wouldn't sacrifice so much to do it. So, you're wrong lady, they are getting the good stuff! (And yes, I know it's not the best way to get my milk...) That same woman made reference to the bonding we've missed out on, but I have a wonderful relationship with each of my precious children despite the bottle between us. 

After my 4th case of mastitis I decided to throw in the burp cloth. 

As I sit here completely engorged wondering how long it will take to get my little, but surely sagging "girls" back I reflect on this experience and put into perspective just how much I asked of myself and my body these last 8 months.

Approximate time spend pumping: 700 hours
Approximate ounces pumped: 18,400
Approximate calories burned: 345,500

All of this only leaving me with a freezer stash of just over 6,500 ounces. Hoping and praying that will last my sweet babies until they are one year old.


I praise God that my cup (or bottles) runneth over! I thank Him for giving me the ability and strength to be able to do this for them (not just for our health, but to save a lot of money). But happy mother's day to me (and birthday) that I'm not doing it anymore!

So, diary cow, I salute you! I feel for you! I appreciate you! Not that you have a choice, but thanks for all you do!


1 comment:

  1. How did I miss seeing this?? I am cracking up! You are too funny. I loved this.
    Side note - I think it's amazing that you have done this for so long, most woman (including myself) give up quite early. Kudos to you:)

    ReplyDelete